Elaion is a religious organization committed to re-establishing the ancient Hellenic religion (known as Dodekatheism, Hellenic Reconstructionism, Hellenismos) to its rightful place in society. Our motto enshrines the values of “piety, tradition and virtue/excellence” as key principles of the organization. We seek to be pious and honorable in our thoughts and actions and virtuous in our relationships with mortals and immortals as we strive for excellence in keeping with traditional Hellenic polytheistic practices.
Elaion is an organization with an emphasis on the essence of traditional practice, ethics, and values. The Hellenic revival in the West is growing and worshippers need organizational support to establish worship groups, connect with other like-minded individuals, and gain greater fulfilment in their spiritual lives. We welcome newcomers to Hellenic Polytheism to Elaion and hope to provide an active and supportive community. We are particularly sensitive to the requirements of people who feel comfortable in their Hellenic spirituality and who seek dialogue and engagement with others like themselves. We welcome wisdom and experience yet embrace those new to our ancient religion and help them to grow in understanding.
The goals of our organization include:
- To assist members in establishing local worship groups;
- To provide support and resources to members and their worship groups;
- To provide resources and information to those who are interested in our religion;
- To promote our religion through articles, workshops and other forms of outreach.
Our bylaws are available here.
Elaion is currently a small organization with a management structure comprised of founding members and those selected for their knowledge and expertise forming Elaion Core. We prefer that administration grows in response to the needs of the group, ensuring that we can be as dynamic and flexible as possible.
While the group is small, leadership roles are unofficially demarcated, and the central focus of the group is on the development of key projects and the honing of Elaion’s mission. We are focusing on the best strategies for the future. Our rate of growth will determine how and when Elaion establishes a more formal group structure.
The purpose of the application is to gauge your understanding of Elaion, our approach to religious practice, and the values we promote. If the Membership Council accepts you as a candidate, you will receive an invitation to the Elaion Mentoring list where you will have an opportunity to ask questions and exchange thoughts and ideas in a more private setting and to become comfortable with others within the Elaion membership structure.
As an affiliate member, you may apply for Full Membership after three months. Full membership requires completion of a Full Membership Application and a recommendation from one of the mentors on the Elaion Mentoring list. Once the Membership Council agrees to grant full membership, the swearing of an oath to uphold the values of Elaion is expected. Full Membership involves input in decision making, guiding the future of Elaion, and encouraging the establishment of worship groups.
The development of the organization is being managed by two key groups:
- The Elaion Core: Constituted largely by founding members and those selected for their knowledge and expertise, Elaion Core is the group that is driving the development and evolution of the organization. Members of Elaion Core shouldered the bulk of the work involved in establishing Elaion and continue to direct and manage its future.
- Elaion Membership Council: The Membership Council is constituted by selected Elaion Core members who are managing the membership and administrative processes. They have been appointed by the consensus of Elaion Core.
the Elaion community is everywhere! Come join us!